Posted March 15th, 2011 at 8:00 AM Filed in: General Announcements
2011 Spring Seller Update: Fee Update to Encourage Low-cost Shipping, New Shopping Cart, Easier Shopping in Many Categories, and More
Updates for sellers coming this spring and summer will give your buyers more reasons than ever to shop on eBay—a handy, familiar shopping cart, confidence in reasonably priced shipping, easier shopping for popular products in many categories, and more—all of which means more sales for you. Plus you’ll get more tools and support from eBay to maximize your profits.
Updates that impact your selling are consolidated with lead time to adapt. These updates are scheduled to launch between April 19 and May 23 unless otherwise noted. This is the first of two seller updates for 2011.
FREE to list Auction-style—any start price—plus FREE Buy It Now for sellers without a Store subscription. Final Value Fees updated to reward low-cost shipping for all sellers.
- Sellers subscribed to a Store: To reward free and low-cost shipping, Final value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale—including shipping—starting July 6. As always, you get the same low Insertion Fees—as low as 3¢.
- Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale, including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.
- Seller discounts: eBay Top-rated sellers continue to earn 20% discount on Final Value Fees. Current 5% discount will be retired June 1 for PowerSellers who are not Top-rated. All other benefits continue for all.
For the vast majority of eBay sellers—especially those already offering free or low-cost shipping, these updates mean overall fees will be reduced or stay about the same. Get details on the coming fee update.
Easy shopping and buyer confidence mean more sales for you
Updates to the way buyers can browse and shop will keep them coming back for more.
- New eBay Shopping Cart lets buyers add items, both Auction and Fixed Price, from multiple sellers and pay in one easy checkout—making it fast and easy to buy more with each visit.
- New way to shop for popular products coming to more electronics categories and books. Listing with the eBay catalog will be required in these categories.
- Clothing, Shoes & Accessories buyers will find your listings even faster shopping by brand, style, color, size type, and size. Item specifics will be required in these categories.
- Motors Parts & Accessories: To build confidence and reduce buyer questions, sellers will be required to specify shipping and handling time, return policy, and item condition.
- For sellers who don’t meet eBay’s minimum selling standards and sellers with little or no selling history, funds from buyer payments will be unavailable for a period of time to ensure successful fulfillment.
Updates to boost your efficiency and profitability.
- New communications hub helps you manage contacts with buyers from one tab in My eBay.
- Sell worldwide: Specifying international shipping cost and carrier will be required to build confidence and reduce buyer questions. Updates to the Seller Dashboard will give you more insights into your global performance standing, helping you improve your service and grow sales.
- Category and Item Specific changes consolidated with these updates. Find out if your listings are affected.
Get complete details about the Spring Seller Update and how these changes affect you.
Bookmark the Seller Checklist to stay on top.
For more insight, you’re also invited to:
- Talk with members of my staff during the next two days on a special discussion board we’ve set up for this purpose.
- Take part in an upcoming webinar on Thursday, March 17.
- Join me and other leaders from eBay in a Town Hall meeting on Wednesday, March 16. Check the Announcement Board for more details coming soon.
As always, thank you for selling on eBay.
Vice President, Seller Experience
Share This: Tagged: 2011 Spring Seller Update, Communications hub, Discounts for eBay Top-rated Sellers, Free Buy It Now for sellers without a Store subscription, Free to list Auction-style (any start price), Item Specifics, Listing with eBay catalog, minimum selling standards, PowerSeller discounts, Seller Checklist, Shopping Cart, Specifying international shipping cost and carrier, total amount of sale